Thursday 8 January 2015

SUSHI - MY LOVE



Hi again! 

After short break I am back and this time I will write about food. It should also show that sometimes it is worth to give another try to something.

I used to avoid sushi. Let's say that up to one point my experience with this dish was very underwhelming. What is more I heard some rumours about parasites in it so I decided to stay away. Luckily, last time I went to restaurant “Pad-Thai” and I get the opportunity to change my mind. I ordered sushi and fell in love with it. And I can only wish to turn back the time and make that order earlier…

Sushi is the definition of what I like in food. It is healthy, light, fresh and contains ingredients that I really love. Moreover, it even looks amazing – colourful, esthetic, tasty.

This traditional japanese food consists of cooked rice combined with variety of ingredients, for example fresh seafood (shrimps, salmon) and tropical fruits or vegetables (cucamber, avocado, mango). It is usually served with ginger, wasabi and soy sauce and in the most popular form rolled in “nori”. There are many different types of sushi, which are differentiated by ingredients, size or way of serving. My favourite one is called ebi which literally means “shrimp”.

Interesting fact that although in Europe we used to eat sushi with chopsticks, traditionally it is eaten by bare hands.

There are a lot of health benefits of sushi. Sushi, in general, is very low in calories and fat but very high in proteins, vitamins and minerals. Seafood and fish as an ingredient are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids which can be effective in reducing risk of heart disease. Nori (seaweed) is highly nutritious (it contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C…) and it prevents cumulate cholesterol in blood vessels. There are a lot more advantages for health, and as sushi is one of the most popular meal in Japan, you can take life longevity there (average around 85 years) as an evidence.






That said, unfortunately, some of the myths surrounding sushi are true. Some types (prepared from raw fish, like sashimi) may contain parasites. But at the same time, in Europe we eat carpaccio or steak tartare, made from raw meat as well so we face the same risk. There is one universal rule – eat this type of food only in tested, good restaurants.EU regulations forbid the use of fresh raw fish and if the food is prepared properly we have nothing to worry about.

Last paragraph might be a bit repelling, but if we take care about where and what we eat there is no reason to be worried. Personally I love sushi and I just avoid risky ingredients…everything else is just a great taste and fun.

Hope you enjoyed the read!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! What a tasty set of divine-looking sushi! Those tobiko look nothing but divine, and the arrangement of each sushi is certainly formed to perfection. Thank you so much for sharing the yummy treats! Happy eating! :)

    Crystal Carson @ Tacky Jacks

    ReplyDelete