Wednesday 23 December 2015

Merry Christmas everyone!

Finally, come the long-awaited Christmas. This year, I prepare Christmas Eve with my mother in our house. Usually, we celebrate Christmas at my grandparents home, but let's be honest ... They are getting older, and thus, sometimes pull stunts - forget something, don't season some dish or - how awful! -  season something too much! Certainly, it is safer to celebrate Christmas Eve at our home :).

As every year, according to Polish tradition, at our Christmas table will be served 12 dishes, e.g. fried carp, sauerkraut, mushroom sauce, herrings and makiełki. Interestingly, in  Poland are served various dishes depending on which part of country we come from. In the east are popular pierogies. In Great Poland, where we lived in, we rather serve potatoes. In my part of Poland we eat makiełki which aren’t known so well in the east. They are prepared in different ways. The main ingredient is black poppy seed which is added to fried, golden brown, cut into small cubes roll or to cooked pasta. In both versions, we combine the ingredients with honey. If you decide to the version with pasta, it great fits with almonds, raisins, walnuts and dates. If you have never had the opportunity to try this delicacy, you absolutely should do it next year. It’s yummy, I swear! For many years, it is said that the more makiełki you eat, the more money you will have. Convinced I ;)?

All Christmas dishes are unique. So much, that hardly I go away from the table, and after Christmas I look like a large ball :). I admit that I have made myself a big appetite! Therefore, I'm going to help my mother in the kitchen and tomorrow we get down to decorate the Christmas tree.

And how are you? Everything is already prepared and you have a rest or perhaps you still season the soups and other delicacies?


I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment