Saturday 30 May 2015

Strawberries

June is coming and for me this means one important thing – strawberries approaching! I am in absolute love with this fruit and I only regret that in Poland it is available for only month or two.




Not only strawberries taste great but they are also very good for health. It is said that it is not a coincidence that they are heart shaped as they lower the level of bad cholesterol. At the same time they prevent rise of blood sugar and have very low glycaemic index (under 40). It is also proved that strawberries help to lose weight as they improve metabolism. As you see – it is hard to ask for more in that matter.

Interestingly, they  are not exactly created by nature – as a matter of a fact it is a hybrid of two species of wild strawberries in the middle of 17th century.

All right, now we know something “scientific” about strawberries so it’s time to cut to the chase: how can we use it? There are many ways to serve the strawberries. The easiest and healthiest one is to eat the fruit without any additions (certainly without sugar and whipped cream if we care for our health). They are also popular ingredient of may desserts as well as dairy product such as ice creams, milkshakes and yogurts. But in modern kitchen you can use strawberries in traditional way.  Once I found a superb recipe for chicken in balsamic vinegar with rocket and strawberry salad. It may sound like a “strange marriage”, but when I prepared it…it was absolutely delicious! I have to make it one more time J






So much for my love of strawberries J Actually, writing this blog made me hungry… I better find some strawberries in my fridge J





No comments:

Post a Comment