Friday 6 February 2015

This time, I fulfill my promise and I want to take you to a place that means a lot to me.

Córdoba is a beautiful city in Andalusia, situated in the south of Spain. I was really lucky to live there during Erasmus Exchange Program. Moreover, I was in luck I could met many wonderful people and a culture that fascinated me. The climate definitely served me, cause I was basking in the sun to overcome my stress :).

I'm going to present some information about Córdoba for those who have not been there yet.

Córdoba was founded by the Romans, who built the mighty bridge crossing the river Guadalquivir, now called "El Puente Romano". But Córdoba's hour of greatest glory was when it became the capital of the Moorish kingdom of Al-Andalus, and this was when work began on the "Mezquita", which – after several centuries of additions and enlargements – became one of the largest in all of islamic world. In 1236, Córdoba was captured from the Moors by King Ferdinand III of Castile and rejoined Christendom. The Christians initially left the architecture Mezquita largely undisturbed - they simply consecrated it, dedicated it to the Virgin Mary, and used it as a place of Christian worship.

I am convinced that you want to know what in particular bewitched me :).

Firstly, Mezquita, which is the heart of Córdoba. I'll never forget the view, when I was coming back to Córdoba and could see it beautifully illuminated from a distance of several kilometers. This architectural masterpiece is breathtaking. Just look at these pictures!






Secondly, the medieval Judería, which is today a maze of narrow streets and whitewashed buildings with flowery window boxes. There is a tradition of decorating the patios with lots of flowers in plant pots. Most patios belong to private houses so can only be visited in May when they are open for the famous Patios Festival Competition.










The Alcazar (of the Christian Kings) is a castle, delightful gardens and a moorish bathhouse. This is a very popular monument. The big attraction here are the gardens, laid out in descending terraces with typical Islamic rectangular pools.




Córdoba is ideal for those who like to eat well, explore on foot, dive into old bodegas and relish architectural wonders. I encourage you to visit! I’m sure, I will go back there a few times  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment